What to Do If Your Dog Eats Weed or Marijuana

As responsible pet owners, we strive to create a safe environment for our furry companions. However, accidents can happen, and one concerning situation that might arise is if your dog accidentally ingests weed or marijuana. In this blog post, we will provide you with essential information on what to do if you find yourself facing this situation.

Understanding the Risks:

Marijuana toxicity in dogs can lead to a range of symptoms, including lethargy, incoordination, vomiting, tremors, and, in severe cases, even seizures. It’s crucial to act promptly if you suspect your dog has ingested marijuana, as the effects can be distressing for both you and your pet.

Immediate Steps to Take:

1. Stay Calm

The first and most important step is to stay calm. Panicking can hinder your ability to make clear decisions. Take a deep breath and focus on helping your pet.

2. Remove Access

Ensure your dog is in a safe environment, away from any additional marijuana or potential hazards. Limit their movement to prevent accidents or injuries.

3. Determine the Amount Ingested

If possible, assess the quantity of marijuana your dog has consumed. This information will be valuable for the veterinarian in evaluating the severity of the situation.

4. Contact Your Veterinarian

Reach out to your veterinarian immediately. Provide details about your dog’s size, breed, and the estimated amount of marijuana ingested. Your vet will guide you on the next steps.

5. Induce Vomiting (Under Veterinary Guidance)

In some cases, inducing vomiting may be recommended. However, this should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian, as certain substances can cause more harm if brought back up.

Professional Veterinary Care:

Seeking professional veterinary care is crucial in cases of marijuana ingestion. Veterinarians can administer supportive treatments such as intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration, medications to control symptoms, and monitoring to ensure your dog’s recovery.

Be Honest with Your Veterinarian:

When discussing the situation with your veterinarian, be honest about the circumstances surrounding your dog’s ingestion of marijuana. Veterinarians are there to help, and providing accurate information will enable them to offer the best care for your pet.

Prevention for the Future:

Preventing accidental ingestion is the best course of action. Always store marijuana products securely, out of reach of your pets. Be mindful of places your dog can access, and educate family members or guests about the importance of keeping such substances away from pets.