If you’re giving your pet CBD oil, or another kind of CBD product like Pet Releaf’s Edibites CBD and herbal supplements (they aren’t treats, but your dog will think they are!), then there’s a good chance that you’re likely taking CBD too. And why not? CBD may be helpful for any number of health issues like stress, occasional joint discomfort, and more. Your pet is like your family, and you want them to be in the best health possible. And you want to be in the best health possible too, so you can better play and romp with your dog, or serve your cat the way they deserve.
Pet CBD vs. Human CBD
While pet CBD and human CBD may have similarities, there are some big differences between pet CBD and CBD for people, and it’s important to proceed with caution when using human CBD for your pet. It’s similar to the common household medication, aspirin. Aspirin comes in formulas for adults and children, and you wouldn’t give a child aspirin for adults without talking to their doctor first, simply because the amount needed by children is much lower than the amount used for adults.
Here are some of the reasons pet CBD and human CBD are different.
- Pet CBD might be flavored with things like bacon, which, while bacon flavor is helpful for giving CBD to pets, might not be your cup of tea. Or, who knows, maybe bacon flavored CBD would make it easier to take your daily CBD amount, in which case, make sure you ask your pet to share.
- All CBD is not created equal, and if there’s a chance that your human CBD has added THC, do not give it to your pet. Hemp-based CBD products have virtually no THC in them if they are a quality CBD product because there is almost no THC in hemp. The legal limit for THC in hemp is 0.03%, which is negligible and won’t get your pet high. THC is one of the active components of the marijuana plant, a cousin to the hemp plant, and is toxic to pets. The CBD you purchased for yourself at a local dispensary might have THC in it, so please don’t give it to your pet. This is one of the reasons why it is so important to choose pet CBD from a reputable manufacturer like Pet Releaf. Some lower-quality CBD products for pets could be unknowingly contaminated by THC and other harmful additives like chemicals from the manufacturing process. This kind of cross-contamination can be dangerous to pets.
- There is also the possibility that a pet CBD brand may purchase human CBD in bulk and label it as a pet product. For this reason, it’s extremely important to do your research to ensure ingredients are pet-friendly and that they have third-party laboratory testing readily available to ensure product quality and potency.
How do you look for a quality, safe CBD product for your pet?
- One way to choose a high-quality pet CBD product is to look for an organic product, preferably USDA certified organic. Products with this certification have undergone stringent and rigorous review to make sure they are being grown or made with organically produced hemp.
- A second sign that a pet CBD product is both safe and well made is if the company is running third-party tests for THC and other contaminants. You can ask a company for this information if it’s not on their website. However, most companies who do this have the information on their website. This is because they want to reassure their customers and likely also take pride in the quality of their pet CBD.
- A third suggestion for evaluating the quality of a pet CBD product is to carefully read the reviews other customers have left about the product. While these are anecdotal, a lot of positive reviews from happy customers are a good sign that this is a CBD product worth buying.
- The concentrations of pet CBD and human CBD are very different, especially when it comes to small pets, like small dogs and cats. It can take you doing some math to figure out what is the appropriate amount to give your terrier from your bottle of hemp oil. This is one reason why it is generally better to give your pet a CBD product designed for pets. The amount to give has been configured to be appropriate for your pet’s weight, and it takes all of the guesswork out. Pet CBD products will generally provide recommended dosage amounts based on your pet’s weight. Since our pets are generally quite a bit smaller than us, it’s important to not give your pet human CBD at human levels of use. While the side effects of a higher-than-normal amount of CBD are generally very benign (drowsiness, upset tummies), there’s no need to waste CBD or put your pet through any side effects.
How to Give CBD to Pets
The best way to give pet CBD is to follow the packaging directions and give the correct amount based on your pet’s weight. Pet CBD comes in oils, capsules, and soft chews.
- Hemp Oils
Pet Releaf CBD makes giving your pet the right amount of CBD easy and painless. They offer two types of CBD hemp oils, a CBD mixed with organic coconut oil and a liposome CBD mixed with sustainably caught Alaskan Pollock fish oil. Each type of oil has different types of potencies so that you can more accurately give your pup CBD based on her weight. Their USDA Organic hemp oil comes in potencies of 100mg of CBD for small dogs and cats, 200mg of CBD for medium dogs, 500mg of CBD for large dogs, and 750mg of CBD for extra large dogs. The liposome CBD oil comes in a 100mg potency for small dogs and cats, a 300mg potency for medium to large dogs, and a 600mg potency for extra large dogs.
Using a higher potency bottle for a smaller pet can allow you to administer less of the oil each time you give it. Also, if you have a larger pet, like a Great Dane puppy, then the higher concentrations are designed for the larger amount that big dogs need. That way, you aren’t using up a bottle with a lower potency more quickly. For example, a dog that weighs 26-50lbs would take 0.5 droppers full of the Hemp Oil 500. But that same dog would need 2.5 full droppers of Hemp Oil 100.
Having the concentration of CBD tailored to the size of your pet and the usage amount already figured out for you is one of the benefits of choosing a good pet CBD product from Pet Releaf. There’s no guesswork involved. And, you know that the product was designed for your pet!
Capsules, like Pet Releaf’s Organic CBD Capsules, are easy to administer and less messy than using a dropper. Pet Releaf’s capsules contain the same organic full spectrum hemp extract with naturally occurring CBD that comes in the Hemp Oil bottles. Each capsule contains 15mg of CBD, making them perfect for dogs who weigh more than 40 pounds. Dog’s who weigh 40-75lbs take 1 capsule a day. Dog’s who weigh 75-125lbs take 2 capsules a day. Dog’s who weigh 125-175lbs take 3 capsules a day.
Pet Releaf offers a CBD topical called Canna Care. A topical is another word for lotion or cream. Canna Care contains 31mg of CBD. It is a plant based topical and 100% vegan. It’s made for animals with sensitive skin and it may be helpful for itchy skin, occasional joint discomfort, and stress.
- Soft chews
By far the easiest way to administer CBD to your dog is with a tasty Edibite from Pet Releaf. These CBD and functional herbal soft chews aren’t treats, but your dog will think they are! Edibites come in a variety of flavors, with a focus on specific health needs, and also come in a size for small and medium dogs and a size for large dogs. The CBD dose for the Small & Medium Breed Edibites is 1.5-2mg and for the large dog Edibites it’s 3mg-5mg.
- Calming Edibites are peanut butter and carob flavor. Their blend of CBD and the herb chamomile may ease stress and promote relaxation.
- Peppered Bacon Edibites are flavored with black pepper and pork. They may support everyday wellness and optimal body function.
- Digestive Edibites are sweet potato pie flavored. With ginger and CBD they may promote a healthy digestive system.
- Hip and Joint Edibites are peanut butter and banana flavored and with glucosamine and chondroitin, they may support mobility and flexibility.
- Immunity Edibites are blueberry and cranberry flavored. They may support a healthy immune system.
CBD You Can Trust from Pet Releaf
The people behind Pet Releaf believe that their pets are equal members of the family, just like you do. This is why they oversee the entire process of creating their quality CBD products, from seed to sale. They believe that hemp for pets is an excellent way to naturally enhance your pet’s quality of life. One hundred percent of the hemp they use is grown on American farms with no herbicides or pesticides. Many of their products are certified by organizations like USDA Organic and The National Animal Supplement Council. One of their products, the Liposomes Hemp Oil, is award-winning! One of each of their products is sent out every month for third-party laboratory testing, just to be sure there isn’t any THC or harmful chemicals in their products. You can rest easy when you choose Pet Releaf for your pet. Try their USDA Organic hemp oil today!